Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Staples Center

Since I work 5 days a week, a lot of my closet space and money goes towards the staples, or classics, in my wardrobe.  I don't like to wear the same things over and over again, which of course I do, but I don't want to wear them every week.  I also do not like having a summer and winter wardrobe.  You will get more bang for your buck if your clothes transcend the seasons.  Of course, I do have pieces that are seasonal, I just don't have a lot of them.  This allows me to not have to worry about changing out my closet with the seasons (which I hate to do). Also, I tend to forget a lot of my wardrobe pieces, which means, less options in the morning.

My staple stores are Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft (just Loft now), J. Crew, and Banana Republic.  I am slowly starting to aquire more things from The Limited.  The Limited is definitely not for teens any more, which I didn't realize until about 6 months ago.  I will also buy occasionally at Macy's, Dillard's or Nieman Marcus, and of courseTar-jay (Target).


Now this is what works for me.  This may not work for everybody, but if you are constantly in a wardrobe rut like I used to be or just need a little spicing up, this may work for you. 


First and foremost, neutrals are key. And I am not just talking about just black and brown.  Incorporate grey, navy, beige/tan, white/off-white, and red.  Yes, red is a neutral to me because it goes with so many colors. You can also have stripes or houndstooth.

Okay, now on to the clothes.  If you have at least one of each of these pieces in your wardobe, you will basically be set. 

Button down shirt

Ann Taylor

Ann Taylor

A button down will automatically add sophistication and sexiness to any outfit.  I prefer the crisp white shirts, but you can get them in almost any color and style.  I usually layer a sweater over it in the fall/winter. If you are worried about any bulkiness, just add a belt.



Pencil Skirt

J. Crew

Ann Taylor


This will work in any color and pattern.  I have this style in about 6 different colors/patterns.  You can transition into fall/winter with addition of tights.  I love that J. Crew has an array of bright colors for the fall.

Well tailored pants

Ann Taylor


J. Crew
These pants look the best with heels, especially for petites like me.

Wrap Dress

Ann Taylor
Ann Taylor
The wrap dress is very forgiving and is available in many colors and prints.  I LOVE this type of dress, and I own quite a few in different styles.

Sweaters/Blazers


The Limited

The Limited

 I usually incorporate the most color here.  Sweaters work better for me.  I love that there are so many bright styles to choose from and many patterns from animal print to polka dot.

Accessories can change the look of any outfit. 
Belts- Don't stick with neutrals here. 
Statement Necklaces- go bold
Patterned tights-adds a hint of sexy

This is just the basics, you can expand from here. I intend to stay on trend by adding some more jewel tones to my wardrobe by the way of sweaters and pants. 



No comments:

Post a Comment